Gridded3DSet

Hello,

I have created an ellipsoid using the Gridded3DSet. However, in order to create proper grids, two functionTypes and two Gridded3DSet were need; one for the top hemisphere and one for the bottom. The incomplete code look something like the following:

functiona = new FunctionType(xyz, v); //function domain as xyz and range as v (for surface mapping).
functionb = new FunctionType(xyz, v);

Gridded3DSet seta = new Gridded3DSet(xyz,samplesa, 41, 41);
Gridded3DSet setb = new Gridded3DSet(xyz,samplesb, 41, 41);

This works fine and the ellipsoid looks good, but there is a very obvious cut in the middle (like an equator on a globe). Should I try another way of rendering this? Is there a way to do this without two sets and two functiontypes?

On a separate issue:
I was thinking of using irregular3DSet, but I don't fully understand it.
Just to test irregular3DSet I replaced the Gridded3DSet as:
        Irregular3DSet seta = new Irregular3DSet(xyz, samplesa);
        Irregular3DSet setb = new Irregular3DSet(xyz, samplesb);
But all I get was points in space.

Please let me know if someone has answers or suggestions.

thanks,
john