Re: XML scientific data formats

VMET uses XML heavily. An application built with the VMET toolkit is
defined by an XML configuration file. The VMETComponents that make up
the graph of objects for a VMET application actually extend JDOM's
Element and the properties of those components extend Attribute. As a
result, a VMET application IS an XML document. Thus saving the current
state as an XML file is trivial.

The VMETComponents encapsulate VisAD objects, so I am not converting
VisAD objects to XML. We are thinking about an XML representation of our
data. The internal format of our data infrastructure is very similar to
NetCDF. We currently serialize these data objects for remote access, but
we'd like to dump the data to XML so non-Java clients can access the
data. Our first approach will be slapping a cdl format (akin to a NetCDF
dump) into the XML. We are very interested in discussions about other
XML representations of data.

We, too, are looking into a public release of the core VMET. It's gone
through two significant revisions since I last touched the web site, but
the general idea there still holds true. One of these days I'll get it
updated and move it off our secure server.

https://www.4dwx.org/vmet/

Regards,
Doug

Russell Steicke wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 13, 2001 at 02:51:14PM +0100, Ugo Taddei wrote:
>
> > I'm about to start some work on an XML Adapter and have considered two
> > formats:
>
> Hello Ugo,
>
> I've written an XML Adapter for a project at the Australian Bureau of
> Meteorology.  It was initially fairly specific to that project, but we
> believe it's now general enough for other uses.  It will load and save
> one or more Fields or FlatFields in XML format.  For a while we have
> been talking about releasing the code for wider use, but have yet to
> receive executive approval for that.
>
> Also, I've done some preliminary work on saving arbitrary VisAD data in
> XML format, ie having all of the VisAD MathType and Data hierarchies
> expressable in XML.  The direction I was heading was specific to VisAD,
> (eg using VisAD names for the XML element names), not a general format
> like XSIL.
>
> If you're interested, I could describe the format we're currently using.

| Doug Lindholm, Software Engineer          |  E-mail: lind@xxxxxxxx   |
| Research Applications Program             |   Phone: 303-497-8374    |
| National Center for Atmospheric Research  |                          |
| P.O. Box 3000                             |     There's no place     |
| Boulder, Colorado 80307-3000              |        like $HOME        |