images and efficieny

I need to load 4 to 6 full disk satellite images at 5 km resolution and
then compare
patches of the images.  (2500 X 2500 pixels).
I can load two of these, but then the memory overflows with mx384.  It
appears that
way to
keep these arrays as bytes?

The comparisons occur on small areas within the images (100X100km or
20X20 pixels)
which are extracted with image.resample(domain..).  That seems to work.
But I need to step across the full disk image, resampling each piece so
I can not afford
to reload the 6 images for each matching step (each cloud).

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

G. Garrett Campbell Ph. D.
Cooperative Institute for Research in the Atmosphere
Colorado State University
Ft. Collins, CO, USA
970 491 8497
campbell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx