Re: visad.data.mcidas.AreaAdapter.getData(sector)???

Garrett:

There is nothing in the VisAD library that will allow you to read portions of an AREA file from your local disk, given the latitude and longitude of the center or the corners. As you point out, this is an ADDE server-side issue. If you have McIDAS on your workstation, you could run an ADDE server there, too...

If you want to sub-sect the AREA file by line and element, then I would create a new class like the AreaAdapter class, since AreaFile does have the ability to subsect in one of it's getData() signatures. You will have to recompute at least the starting coordinate values and modify the directory information accordingly (words 5,6,8,9), prior to creating the AREACoordinateSystem. If you modify the magnification of the pixel data, you will have to make other adjustments in the directory block before proceeding (words 11 and 12 probably).

tom

Campbell, Garrett wrote:

Has any one written a general AreaFile.getData()
routine which gets a lat,lon sector out of a mcidas area file?
There is a method to get a rectangular piece from the file
(getData(line1,ele1,line2,ele2..)
but I would like to get a lat/lon chip.

Thinking about it some more, I would actually like a method in
AreaAdapter.getData(sector)

The standard AreaAdapter.getData()  returns the whole image (up to
400Megabytes)
I would like to get just a piece of the area file:
sector = AreaAdapter.getData(line1,element1,line2,element2)    or better
yet

sector = AreaAdapter.getData(latitude1,longitude1,latitude2,longitude2)

I can see a way to do that with AreaFile.getData(l1,l2,l3,l4) but how
would one convert that
into a SingleBandedImage with all the associated navigation information?

(I know that the adde server does these kinds of things, but I have
access to area files with out the server in between.)

Thanks for any suggestions

G. Garrett Campbell Ph. D.
Cooperative Institute for Research in the Atmosphere
Colorado State University
Ft. Collins, CO, USA
970 491 8497
campbell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx