visad.data.mcidas.AreaAdapter.getData(sector)???

Has any one written a general AreaFile.getData()
routine which gets a lat,lon sector out of a mcidas area file?
There is a method to get a rectangular piece from the file
(getData(line1,ele1,line2,ele2..)
but I would like to get a lat/lon chip.

Thinking about it some more, I would actually like a method in
AreaAdapter.getData(sector)

The standard AreaAdapter.getData()  returns the whole image (up to
400Megabytes)
I would like to get just a piece of the area file:
sector = AreaAdapter.getData(line1,element1,line2,element2)    or better
yet

sector = AreaAdapter.getData(latitude1,longitude1,latitude2,longitude2)

I can see a way to do that with AreaFile.getData(l1,l2,l3,l4) but how
would one convert that
into a SingleBandedImage with all the associated navigation information?

(I know that the adde server does these kinds of things, but I have
access to area files
with out the server in between.)

Thanks for any suggestions

G. Garrett Campbell Ph. D.
Cooperative Institute for Research in the Atmosphere
Colorado State University
Ft. Collins, CO, USA
970 491 8497
campbell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx