Re: animation performance

Hi Doug,

A ScalarMap to Animation definately has better performance,
because it precomputes the scene graph for all time steps
and animates by calls to setChild() in Java3D Switch nodes
in the scene graph. Animation speed should only be limited
by Java3D rendering speed.

By calling setData() on each time step, you are re-transforming
data into a scene graph on each time step. Sometimes you need
this if data are constantly changing, but it is slower. It also
uses less memory because it is not caching scene graphs.

Good luck, Bill