Adding ScalarMap to DisplayImpl gives DisplayException

I'm trying to use VisAD for displaying locations of ships relative to an
unmoored buoy (i.e a drifter). The drifter provides a center of reference for
Lagrangian (not geographic) navigation.  The system is setup as a
publish-sub**scribe system so that as new drifter or ships are deployed we can
add their positions to the display dynamically. I've just started doing some
testing with visAd but I've run into a problem.

First, I'm getting a visad.DisplayException. My steps for creating this
exception start with the creation of a DisplayImpl. Then, I add  3 ScalarMaps
and their associated DataReferenceImpl to the DisplayImpl  for the first
drifter (one for the current location, one for the the drifters previous 10
locations, and one containing a label identifying the current fix). Then I add
the DisplayImpl to a JPanel and make it visible. So far so good... the point
appears and is updated as the drifter moves about. The problem occurs when I
try to add a second drifter. When I try displayImpl.addMap(someScalarMap) I get
the following exception: visad.DisplayException: DisplayImpl.addMap:
RendererVector must be empty. So it looks like once the display is up and going
it doesn't like having additional data ScalarMaps added to it. Am I using the
wrong approach? Any suggestions for a work around or different approach?

Thanks in advance
Brian Schlining
Software Application Developer
brian@xxxxxxxxx