RE: gridded3dset

John,

I believe the quoted passage means:

A circle (or any other shape) would be represented by rectangularly oriented
points.
(I guess this means they don't have to be square, though I would expect
square orientation suits a circle, non-square perhaps for an ellipse.)

Possible representations (in non-proportional font) in two dimensions:

     . .
   . . . .
   . . . .
     . .

depending on the desired resolution in each direction.

I didn't understand what you said about a circular base requiring fewer
points.

I am sure others can give a more detailed explanation/correction.

- David