Re: Mac OS X 10.1 / VIsAD problems

Dear Russ Rew and Dirk Slawinski,

Thanks for the feedback.

Likewise, I have been using Ugo Taddei's tutorial examples for Mac OS X 10.1 testing. Specifically, P2_11 should be a curve with some red points but in OS X 10.1 appears to be some connected lines and red boxes (or super large points).

As previously stated, I have used VisAD 2D rather intensively in Mac OS X 10.0.x without any significant problems. I solved most of the "out-of-memory" and "bus error" problems by setting the maximum buffer size of the Java stack at the command line:

java -Xmx128m VisADprogram   (this limits Java to 128 MB,)

As suggested in OS X 10.1 Java Release Notes, which provide some good information on potential Java graphics problems:;

http://developer.apple.com/techpubs/macosx/ReleaseNotes/JavaGMWebReleaseNotes.html,

I thought the problem could be caused by Quartz's "antialiasing."

So with Project Builder 1.1, I added the lines :

        com.apple.macosx.AntiAliasedGraphicsOn=false
        com.apple.macosx.AntiAliasedTextOn=false

to the MRJApp.properties file, but this did not solve the problem.

So, for now I am going to have to the NOAA' s scientific graphic toolkit (SGT), as it appears to work on 10.1.

Thanks again,
John

John Philip Anderson
215 West Newman Road