Re: Mac OS X 10.1 / VIsAD problems

Hi John,

> I run VisAD on Mac OS X and it worked great, until I upgraded to OS X 10.1.
> Now, the graphics appear distorted.  Curves are now lines,  points are now
> boxes and etc.
>
> I do not believe that this problem is in any way specific to VisAD but
> rather produced by Apple's Quartz graphics engine that overides the JDK in
> OS X.
>
> I am taking this issue up with Apple but I am wondering if any one out there
> is also running VisAD on Mac OS X and if they have had to deal with this
> issue yet?

I've installed VisAD on a Mac OS X system and tried many of the test
examples.  Without the Java3D extension, most of the VisAD examples
won't run, but VisAD seemed to work for the Java2D examples.  However,
the simple 2D plot from Ugo Taddei's tutorial:

  http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/~billh/tutorial/s1/P1_01.java

produced an incorrect plot under the previous Mac OS X release, due to
some bug in the Mac Java implementation that I never isolated.  I just
installed the new Mac OS X 10.1 release and Developer Tools, and
noticed that the problem is still there.  I'd like to make this
independent of VisAD for a bug report to Apple, but that requires some
work ...

I've also tried Unidata's GDV application using the WebStart
application now available with Mac OS X, and although the download
worked fine, there are still problems with even the Java2D part of GDV
on the MacOS version of JDK 1.3.1, starting with re-draws not being
done when needed.  I don't know yet whether the problem is in GDV or
the MacOS JDK 1.3.1.

Incidentally, things are looking up for Java3D on Mac OS X, since
Apple hired Gerard Ziemski, the programmer responsible for porting
GL4Java for Mac OS X.

--Russ

russ@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx                     http://www.unidata.ucar.edu