Re: DXF map for background

Hi Cicero,

> 1. I've  made a radar 2Ddisplay that plots (latitude, longitude) ->(Z) and
> mapped Z in RGB. What I need now is to show the Z value on the screen
> just like latitude and longitude are shown when the middle-mouse-button is
> pressed. I know It can be programed on Java, but I thing that there is
> a easier and more inteligent way.

Please see the second half of my answer at:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/staff/russ/visad/msg00862.html

for a discussion of ways to do this.

> 2. An important componet in a radar display is the map behind the
> data. But I have this map in DXF format (its just the contour) and this is
> not one of the VisAD compatible types. If anyone know a software that
> converts the formad (probably a CAD software) please tell me, I can use a
> Windows, Linux, Irix or Aix software. Or if there is no solution, and I
> will have to do it the hard way (re-creating the map), any tip will be
> well recived.

You can use NCSA Portfolio to load DXF into a Java3D scene
graph, as described at:

  http://www.j3d.org/utilities/loaders/misc/portfolio.html

But then you would need to either:

1. Convert that scene graph infromation into a VisAD data
   object, or

2. Put that scene graph into one of VisAD's Java3D scene graphs
   (using DisplayRendererJ3D.getRoot() or DisplayRendererJ3D.getTrans()
   to get a parent to attach it to) and then scale it properly (say by
   a parent TransformGroup) to georeference it with your radar data.

I recommend the first approach.