Re: reAutoScale

Hi Doug,

> > > I have a simple time series plot with some field (e.g. temperature)
> > > plotted vs. time for several surface stations. Auto scaling does the
> > > right thing when I add data to the Display and I seem to recall it doing
> > > the right thing when I remove DataReferences from the Display. However,
> > > now I am using the DataRenderer.toggle method to turn off my data. Even
> > > if I call the Display's reAutoScale method, it doesn't auto scale.
> > >
> > > Is this a bug? Should calling DataRenderer.toggle( false ) cause the
> > > Display to reAutoScale? Or should a call to reAutoScale at least look at
> > > the toggled state before using the data for auto scaling?
> >
> > No, the reAutoScale() method only says to auto-scale the
> > next time data are transformed into geometry. Follow that
> > call by a call to DisplayImpl.reDisplayAll() to trigger the
> > transform.
>
> I am now calling reAutoScale() and reDisplayAll() after calling
> DataRenderer.toggle( false ). The axes do not rescale. (I'm pretty sure
> that I never called setRange on the ScalarMaps.) Is the DataRenderer's
> enabled state considered when auto scaling is doing its thing? Should
> it?

toggle(false) should not remove a DataRenderer and its data
from the auto-scaling logic. Only three possibilities I can
think of:

1. You are calling setRange() on all the 'scaled' ScalarMaps
(e.g., spatial axes and colors).

2. It is auto-scaling but the data ranges have not changed
so the implicit values to setRange() remain unchanged.

3. There is a bug in VisAD.

If you can send a little test app that demonstrates a bug,
I'll fix it.