Re: problem

Hi Igor-

> Igor wrote:
>
> Hello,
>     I have to display some date against time in real-time. Unit of
> time is a milisecond. We use a long to represent time (since the epoch
> (1970-01-01 00:00:00Z) as the temporal reference) in ms. I cannot use
> VisAD's DateTime class Since it uses seconds as units.

The DateTime class internally stores the value as seconds since the
epoch.  It uses a RealType of RealType.Time.

> If I convert longs to doubles of seconds, VisAD has trouble displaying
> it. For example, it looks like it doesn't make a difference between
> 9.98928586999E11 and  9.98928592627E11.

Is time the domain or range of the FlatField? (I would assume domain,
since your data is a function of time)  If it is the domain, use
a Gridded1DDoubleSet instead of a Gridded1DSet for your domain of
times.  You can use the static methods makeTimeSet to get you
a Gridded1DDoubleSet from an array of DateTimes or doubles.

> Does the FlatField only support float precision? What could be the
> problem?

For range values, only floats are supported.

Don Murray
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/staff/donm