Mouse events to capture data

  • To: visad-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Mouse events to capture data
  • From: spotts@xxxxxxxxxxxx via smtpd (for ssec.wisc.edu [144.92.108.61]) with SMTP; 23 Aug 2001 14:43:56 UT id <QC4H0S3N>; Thu, 23 Aug 2001 07:43:54 -0700
  • Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 07:43:45 -0700
I had almost given up on Java for scientific visualization of data, until we
stumbled across VisAD.  Outstanding work, and a thank you to all involved.
I now won't have to go back to C++ and Matlab...

I need to be able to select out data in 2D using drag rectangles and
polygons.  I noticed a user a few months back had the same need--excerpt
from that message is below:
Has anyone already done this, and is willing to share the code?
I am using the DisplayListener with the getID() method to determine the type
of mouse event.  While DisplayEvent.MouseClicked, MouseReleased, etc work
fine, DisplayEvent.MOUSE_DRAG doesn't seem to work.  Actually, from Java I
would expect MouseMotionListener to be a separate interface from
MouseListener--how do I detect mouseMotion events??
Steve Potts
Research Scientist
Surromed, Inc.
Mountain View, CA
spotts@xxxxxxxxxxxx

*       From: David Homiak <dhomiak@xxxxxxxxxxxx
<mailto:dhomiak@xxxxxxxxxxxx>>
*       Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 11:50:27 -0500
-I'd like to use VisAD to perform brushing of data across multiple graphs,
similar to what is done in many statistical packages, but I am not sure if
the-
-RubberBandBoxRendererJ3D class is the right one to use. In the 2D case with
different scatterplots of the same data, I would like to rubberband a
rectangle (ideally, -lasso an irregular shape around a set of points) in one
scatterplot and highlight (e.g., change color, size, shape, etc.) the
selected data in all of the scatterplots on -
-mouse button release. In a 3D brush and spin case with a 3D scatterplot and
different related 2D scatterplots, I'd like to rubberband a rectangle on the
3D scatterplot
-and highlight the data (that is within the projection of the rectangle) in
the 3D and all 2D scatterplots. I would appreciate any advice on how to
accomplish this, and -
-example would be great, as I did not see any test cases for
RubberBandBoxRendererJ3D. Are there any issues with changing the attributes
of a subset of the data?