Re: VisAD for my application?

Hi Gary,

VisAD can offer you help with your application. Use the
visad/bom/RubberBandBoxRendererJ3D.java class in your
application to let users draw rectangles. See the main()
method in this class to see how it can trigger your code
in a doAction() method of a CellImpl. Your code would
construct a rectangle and perhaps other shapes as a
Gridded2DSet with manifold dimension = 1 or a UnionSet
of Gridded2DSets with manifold dimension = 1 (typically
used for drawing map outlines and other shapes using
lines). It could also create Text objects for plotting
text in your display. Run:

  java visad.bom.RubberBandBoxRendererJ3D

to see how it works. Your code in a CellImpl.doAction()
method can also check consistency conditions among a set
of rectangles. You'll need to use Java3D, but to see your
graphics in a 2-D box, construct your Display with:

  new DisplayImplJ3D("display", new TwoDDisplayRendererJ3D());

Good luck and let us know if you have other questions,