Re: Level II Radar

Hi Kevin-

There is no adapter in VisAD for the WSR-88D Level II data.  There
are a couple of options for how this could be done:

1) Convert the Level II archive data to netCDF and read it in
that way.  VisAD will handle any generic netCDF file, but you might
have better luck creating a sampled grid (lat/lon/ele or
range/azimuth/elevation) and using that.

2) Write an adapter for the Level II archive data directly to
a VisAD data type.

(there are probably others)

In regards to #1, Unidata is working with the ATD group at NCAR
to display their S-Pol volume scans using VisAD.  They are creating
grid files (lat/lon/ele) which end up as VisAD FlatFields with
a Gridded3DSet as the domain.  We are able to do some nice displays
of reflectivity isosurfaces as well as pseudo-color cross sections
(horizontal and vertical) through the volume.

But if you wanted to create a VisAD adapter, it would be a great
contribution.

Don Murray

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/staff/donm