RE(6): ANSWER!!! [NoClassDefFoundError] & [wglCreateContext Faile d: The operation completed successfully. extensionStr == null]

                                                        Internal reference
numbers
                                                        Projects:
VV8492, VV8727, VV8770
                                                        Doc. Ref. No.:
01-10-855
Okay,
I know I may have been on the verge of getting on some people's nerves with
my inability to run Java3D, but for the sake of anyone who comes across this
problem in the future:

(1) The [NoClassDefFoundError] error may well have been related to
CLASSPATH/PATH definition.  Whatever I did to fix those statements and/or
install (newer) J2D and J3D to their _default_ locations appeared to stop
that error from arising.  However J3D demo app's such as "HelloUniverse",
"FourByFour" and "Morphing" still did not run.  [I never saw this error when
running VisAD.]

(2) The other error I was getting -
[extensionStr == null   wglCreateContext Failed: The operation completed
successfully.]
cycled when running the J3D demo app's and also when trying to implement J3D
elements of visad.ss.SpreadSheet.  From my search of the internet, it
appears that this is a known OpenGL (i.e. _not_ Java3D) "problem".  It
appears to be related to the early part of code/script, where the window is
to be opened and colours/pixels/"pixel format" defined - in other words
defining the 'display type' [the details are a bit vague to me].
Suggested solutions included ensuring _65536_ colour mode, and (if that is
already the case) updating OpenGL drivers for the specific video card
(contact manufacturer/supplier).
I was already running 65536 colours (1024*768, large fonts, 75Hz).
However when I did try out _1677216_ colour mode, the J3D demos (the three
mentioned) all appear to function perfectly.  Furthermore, 3D elements of
VisAD also now function correctly (it seems):  I can now map to x, y and z
[although my quick attempt to map Temperature to _both_ z _and_ RGB comes
out looking like a map to only z-axis].

For the record, I am running Win NT, with a "Matrox Graphics Millenium G200
AGP" graphics adapter;  "Matrox Graphics Inc." driver (mga64.sys, MGA64.dll)
versions 4.00, 4.0.81;  "MGA-G200" Chip Type, 250MHz integrated DAC, 16MB
memory;  version 1.3.011 BIOS.

I hope this is useful to someone else, and if not then perhaps you could
just breathe a sympathetic sigh of relief ;-)

David.

<snip>
> Instead, make sure your JDK's bin folder comes first in the path.
Change made.

> >Actually, I think I may have copied some *.dll and *.jar files
> You should never need to copy these files,
<snip>
ok.

<snip>
> Stick to "CLASSPATH" (all caps).  Works for me.
Change made.

<snip>
> You will always get errors like this if you append ".java" or
> ".class" to the argument.  You must run "java HelloUniverse"
> like you do below.
>
> >C:\jdk1.3.1\demo\java3d\HelloUniverse>java HelloUniverse
> >.
> >wglCreateContext Failed: The operation completed successfully.
> >
> >extensionStr == null
> >wglCreateContext Failed: The operation completed successfully.
> >
> >extensionStr == null
>
> In the above case, Java is working, launching the program.
> You are just having trouble with Java3D.  I'm not sure what's
> the matter here... a reinstall of Java3D might help, or else
> you could try Microsoft's software OpenGL drivers (but that
> would result in poorer performance).

### See solution at item (2) at the top of this email. ###

> >C:\jdk1.3.1\demo\java3d\HelloUniverse>set CLASSPATH
> >CLASSPATH=c:\visad.jar;.
>
> Assuming you have visad.jar located in your root directory,
yes.

> and are attempting to run VisAD applications from within
> the jar file (such as the SpreadSheet), this CLASSPATH
> looks good.  However, if you want to extract the VisAD
> source files from visad_src-2.0.jar then that CLASSPATH
> will not work.  See the VisAD FAQ installation instructions
> for a detailed explanation of how to install the source code
> version of VisAD.
<snip>

> Like I said before, appletviewer requires an HTML file for
> its argument.  It
> will not work with .class or .java files, so the above will
> never work.  Don't
> bother trying to test this stuff with appletviewer--just use java.exe.
Noted.

<snip>
> You don't need to separately install the runtime environment
> (it installs
> automatically when you install the JDK).  You installed JDK
> 1.3, and *then*
> Java3D?  The latest versions of Java3D will autodetect where
yes, I did.
It installed to _both_ "JVM's", which were automatically detected - the
"JRE" (C:\APPS\JavaSoft\JRE\1.3.1) and the "SDK" (C:\jdk1.3.1).

> you have the
> JDK installed, and put themselves there for you, nice and painlessly.
>
> >OffsetUnit.java:138: Blank final variable 'scaledUnit' may
> not have been
> >initial
> >ized. It must be assigned a value in an initializer, or in every
> >constructor.
>
> Fix your other problems first, and if you still get these messages
> upon compile, then I'll look into it.
I'm not too fussed about the units not being identified, except I would
prefer to view degrees Celcius (temperature) rather than Kelvin.

<snip>
> It is easier to unjar the VisAD source files to a neutral
> folder like "Java"
> and run from there.
Change made.

<snip>
> That error means that IE can't find Java3D.  And it won't
> find it unless
> you install the Java Plug-in first (not required for VisAD or
> Java3D outside
> browsers).  The hard part about applets is getting Java3D or other
> "extension" packages working within them properly.
I defer to your experience on this.

<snip>
> You can change these settings from the Tools menu, Internet Options
> item, Security tab.  You'll be able to enable ActiveX controls, but it
> still won't help you run Java3D applets from IE unless you install the
> Java Plugin.
Doing this (actually, before I wrote the previous time) for "local intranet"
sites didn't have any effect.

<snip>
> By "test" files, I assume you mean the examples.
yes.

> Yes, you must compile
> the files first.  No, they are not included in visad.jar.

<snip>
> You need to use "jar xvf" to extract the visad_examples.jar
> file to its
> own directory, then compile the source files that were extracted.
> Do not change your CLASSPATH.
>
> Overall, I think you are making things too difficult for
> yourself.  Just
> start over, forget about using Java3D in a browser, and carefully
> follow the installation instructions on the VisAD FAQ page.  Make
> sure you follow either the visad.jar instructions, or the source code
> instructions, and don't mix them up.  If you want to compile VisAD
> from source and/or make changes to it, you'll need the source code
> version.  If all you want to do is run the SpreadSheet and build your
> own applications on top of VisAD, you can get away with the
> visad.jar version.  But pick one, and follow the instructions
> carefully,
> and let me know if you run into any snags.
>
> -Curtis

David Verrelli - Ext. 763
Environmental Engineering

EGIS CONSULTING AUSTRALIA
390 St. Kilda Road, Melbourne, VIC 3004
Tel: (03) 9272-6666   Fax: (03) 9272-6612

"The information contained in this email and any files transmitted with it are
confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to
whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please
promptly notify the sender by reply email and then delete the email and destroy
any printed copy. Additionally, if you have received this email in error, you
must not disclose or use this information in any way."  More Information on
Egis can be obtained at www.egisconsult.com.au

Egis Consulting Australia, Melbourne
Phone 61 3 9272 6666
Fax 61 3 9272 6611