Specific alpha values

Hi there,

  I've got some radar data in my visad display, which I am overlaying
over a filled in map and some other stuff.  The radar data is from
a McIDAS ADDE image server.

  The bad bit is that a large black box surrounds the small amounts
of rain (radar data).
  So what I want to do is set 0 values in the radar data to be
transparent.
  This is something along the lines of mapping radarValue to ALPHA,
but not quite, as I don't want a linear relationship.. I want to
define my own function (in loose language).  This seems to be
possible with mapping samples to colours, where you get your mouse
and choose the R, G and B intensities for that sample, on a
contiguous sample space thingy.
  Can I do this for alpha?  How do I do it programatically?  I don't
want the user having to drag his mouse around just to set 'no rain'
to be transparent.

thanks in advance,

Andrew.

--