Re: VisAD now supports the ImmersaDesk

  • To: Jack Gundrum <jsg3@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: VisAD now supports the ImmersaDesk
  • From: Erik Paulson <epaulson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 11:49:46 -0500
On Tue, Apr 24, 2001 at 12:13:06PM -0400, Jack Gundrum wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to use VisAD with trackd support for the FOB.
> My question is can I do this with SunOs and Linux since
> these are supported by trackd?

Yes - in fact, the VisAD support for the trackd was written on
Solaris. I don't know if anyone's used an FoB - we used a Spacepad
here, but trackd abstracts that all away.

> What problems might I  encounter?

You'll need to build a native object to talk to the VRCO trackd,
and you'll have to have a fairly modern version of the trackd. We
initially tried to develop it using _very_ old version that we'd been
using ever since we got the IDesk, and it was a total disaster. Trackd
4.0 was pretty easy to get working, though.

The other thing to watch out for is the TestIDesk navigation controls
are pretty different from CAVE5D, so some users might freak out a bit at
first.

-Erik