Re: Java3D on Mac OSX, Interesting Apps

Hi Don-

> FYI VisAD folks - There are two emails below: one on the status of Java3D
> for Mac OSX (Mach/FreeBSD env), and another requesting information on
> interesting Java3D based applications. MichaelSchulman@xxxxxxx is the person
> to respond to.
>
> I don't recall seeing this on the VisAD list before so apologies if this is
> redundant.

As Bill mentioned, VisAD has been on Sun's radar screen with demos at
JavaOne and the feature article.  It probably wouldn't hurt for those
VisAD users to let Sun know what they are doing with VisAD for 3D
applications (like your Virtual Exploratorium work and Unidata's
MetApps).  I'll fill out the form for MetApps.

As for Apple, the more people that ask for Java3D on MacOSX, the
better.  Dave Fulker has been in contact with one of Apple's marketing
managers for Science and Technology (see below) who has also contacted
Bill.  The attached message describes a forum that could be used to
promote Java3D on MacOSX.  I know there are several people on the
visad-list that live in the Denver metro region, so they might consider
attending (thus the relevance to this list).  It might be good to have
demos of the VisAD SpreadSheet or our Gridded Data Viewer (2D portion)
under MacOSX and bring a Windows or Linux laptop and show the
possibilities that could be attained if MacOSX supported Java 3D, by
showing the 3D capabilities of these applications on the other
platforms.  I guess I'd urge anyone using the 3D capabilities of VisAD
to contact Apple and let them know that MacOSX would be a good platform
to support Java3D.  Steve Jobs claimed at the last JavaOne that he
intended to make MacOSX the best platform for Java.  We should hold them
to that by having them include Java 3D.

Here's the notice for the Apple SciTech meeting: