Re: How to plot time-series overlayed on the same graph with different colors

  • To: "Wang, X (Xiao Dong)" <X.Wang@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: How to plot time-series overlayed on the same graph with different colors
  • From: Ugo Taddei <p6taug@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 13:08:19 +0200
Hi Xiao Dong,

> Hello Visad Community:
> I am new to visAD. I have a question about display time-series. I have
> time-series data, y(i)=f(x(i))+iK (i=1,...N, K=const). I want to plot them
> on the same graph with different colors to distinguish the lines. How can it
> be implemented?

Suppose you have a line with MathType (data structure) like

( time -> temperature )

See tutorial section 1.3 for such an example:

http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/~billh/tutorial/s1/Section1.html#section1_3

The "trick" to give your data a special color is not to add data to a
display in the usual way:

display.addReference( data_ref );

but instead, to add it with an arrays of ConstantMaps

ConstantMap[] pointsCMap = { new ConstantMap( 1.0f, Display.Red ),
                                  new ConstantMap( 0.0f, Display.Green
),
                                  new ConstantMap( 0.0f, Display.Blue ),
                                  new ConstantMap( 3.50f,
Display.PointSize )  };

And finally add data to display with teh (color) maps:

display.addReference( data_ref, pointsCMap );

This is done in tutorial section 2.4

http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/~billh/tutorial/s2/Section2.html#section2_4

Also note that an answer to your question can be found in Unidata's
visad-list archive

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/staff/russ/visad/

An answer can be found by searching for the word "color" the archive. If
you browse through the answers you'll find

Re: plotting multiple time-series in different colors

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/glimpse/visad-list/1777

A search for "time-series" will return an even better result.

Cheers,

Ugo