Re: Remote Display

Hello RC,

I don't know about Mesa3D, but I can at least tell you how I get this to work
using OpenGL. Maybe this will help you find the solution....

I have an IBM workstation on my desk. As you may know, IBM doesn't support
Java3D :-( , so I can't run VisAD locally. IBM does support OpenGL though, so
I've
got OpenGL installed. With this, I'm able to run VisAD on a Sun workstation
(which has Java3D support) and display it on the IBM (which only has OpenGL
support).

When I install OpenGL on the IBM, it adds "GLX" extensions to the X server.
So if I do "ps -ef | grep X" on the IBM, I see something like:
/usr/lpp/X11/bin/X -x abx -x dbe -x GLX -D /usr/lib/X11//rgb -T -force :0 -auth
/var/dt/Aalto2-Oxcuq
note the "-x" which I think stands for "extensions" followed by GLX.

Others will probably be able to describe it more elegantly or correctly, but
somehow the Java3D running on the Sun sends OpenGL requests to the IBM display,
which are then translated into GLX calls to the X server. So if your X server
isn't running GLX extensions it won't work.

So the question is how to get the X server started with GLX extensions. Might be
an answer on the newsgroups...

I did a search for "mesa GLX" on:
specifying the newsgroup as "comp.os.linux.x"

and it returned a whole bunch of hits.

Hope this helps,

James