Re: animation / speed

Hi Timo,

> . . .
> > > my application crashs after a while with a
> > > java.lang.IndexOutOfBoundsException
> > > [...] at javax.media.j3d.J3dThread.run. . . .
> >
> > This is a well known bug in Java3D. You must be using Java3D version
> > 1.1.3 or 1.2. You can get version 1.1.2 for Windows and Solaris from
> > the VisAD web page, and 1.1.2 does not have this bug. Or you can
> > download Java3D version 1.2.1 beta 2 from Sun (which has a few small
> > problems but at least does not seem to throw Exceptions). We are
> > working closely with the Sun Java3D team to ensure that version 1.2.1
> > won't have any show-stopper bugs for VisAD.
>
> Hmm... I'm using Java3D version 1.2. But a look in the java3d docs
> revealed that this version (from blackdown, for linux) was tested using
> Java SDK 1.2.2. I was using SDK 1.3. So I installed the 1.2.2 version
> and tried the example again but no change. Or do I have to recompile the
> VisAD library with the 1.2.2 compiler?

I am sorry to say that this is a bug in Java3D, even though the
docs say it was tested (it is impossible to catch all bugs by
testing - there are just too many combinations).

And unfortunately there is no port of Java3D 1.1.2 for Linux -
the first version ported was 1.1.3 which also threw these
Exceptions.

Until Java3D version 1.2.1 is ported to Linux, there is nothing
you can do about this. Except maybe run under Windows and use
the Java3D 1.1.2 from our server.

If someone shows us an Exception from VisAD, we usually have
the fix available on our server in 24 hours. But we can't do
anything about Exceptions from Java3D but wait.

Sorry,