Re: animation / speed

Hi Timo,

> thanks for your fast help. The DisplayImplJ3D with a TwoDDisplayRendererJ3D
> is indeed a lot faster and probably satisfies my speed needs. However, though
> I only changed the type of display from
>
>   display = new DisplayImplJ2D("display1");

>   display = new DisplayImplJ3D("display1", new TwoDDisplayRendererJ3D());
>
> my application crashs after a while with a
> java.lang.IndexOutOfBoundsException [...] at javax.media.j3d.J3dThread.run.
> Then I tried the P5_01 example with the 3D modification and set the number
> sample points to 10000. Same error after a while (see full error trace
> below). The original 2D version works fine (and slow) with 10000 samples. I
> think the error is somewhere in VisAD or Java3D. You find the modificated
> P5_01 attached.

This is a well known bug in Java3D. You must be using Java3D version
1.1.3 or 1.2. You can get version 1.1.2 for Windows and Solaris from
the VisAD web page, and 1.1.2 does not have this bug. Or you can
download Java3D version 1.2.1 beta 2 from Sun (which has a few small
problems but at least does not seem to throw Exceptions). We are
working closely with the Sun Java3D team to ensure that version 1.2.1
won't have any show-stopper bugs for VisAD.

By the way, you emailer does not insert end-of-line characters in
your emails, which make them a bit hard to read (leads me to believe
you are running on Windows). If you can fnd a way to put end of line
characters in, that would be nice.