Re: Fw: FlatField display questions, and more...

Hi Cam,

For some reason, netscape won't quote your email in this
reply, so I'll just refer to you questions by number.

Question 1. This sounds like a Java3D bug that I have
encountered before, when NX, NY and NZ are not all equal.
To comment more I'd have to reproduce the bug, but I
wasn't able to compile your attached program because of
the "import imago.model".

Questions 2, 3 and 4.  These can all be addressed by
changing your data.  Currently, you have many FlatFields
with MathTypes ((x, y, z) -> NAME_density).  Then you
map the various NAME_density RealTypes to color components.
VisAD depicts each FlatField with a different set of
colored polygons.  So rather than the colors being blended,
the polygons fight in the Z-buffer givng all sorts of weird
effects.  Try combining all you FlatFields into one
FlatField with MathType:

  ((x, y, z) -> (NAME1_density, ..., NAMEn_density))

and then mapping the various NAME_density RealTypes to
color components.  The colors should be merged.

Question 5. To add your own branch to VisAD's Java3D
scene graph, try this:

  DisplayRendererJ3D dr
    (DisplayRendererJ3D) display.getDisplayRenderer();
  TransformGroup trans = dr.getTrans();

Then you can add a Java3D BranchGroup to trans (only a
BranchGroup, since trans is live).

Note that by using mappings to Display.Shape, or by using
various VisAD MathTypes, your can create a wide variety of
discrete geometries within VisAD.