Volume Rendering with cross-sections

Dear all,

I understand that VisAd can do volume rendering and Test61 is quite a good
example. I was wondering if it is possible to implement volume rendering
with cross-sections so that I can view the 'insides' clearly (and not just a
solid block if the outsides are not transparent).

I'm thinking along the line of brain scans, where you can see the brain
layer by layer. (that would actually be just many 2D pictures). What if I
want to be able to see the whole brain in 3D as a solid, but at the same
time, there is a separate plane which I can control to view cross-sections.

Can this be done in VisAD?

Thanks!