20000927: Simple Field question

>From: Edward Stanford <stanford@xxxxxxx>

Edward-

>Thanks to all who responded to my last.
>
>This one is fairly simple: assume one has an instance of a FieldImpl.  How
>may one dynamically determine the FunctionType, and hence, the range
>RealType, of the FieldImpl?  This seems like it should be _really_ obvious,
>and closely analogous to the many methods that enable one to investigate
>the domain Set, but I haven't spotted it.

You should be able to call:

    FunctionType type = (FuncitonType) myFieldImpl.getMathType();

and use the methods of FunctionType to pick it apart further or
you could also use the methods in visad.util.DataUtility to
further pick apart the MathType on the fly:

static RealTupleType getDomainType(Function function)
          Gets the MathType of the domain of a Function.
static RealTupleType getFlatRangeType(Function function)
          Gets the MathType of the flat-range of a Function.

Since a FieldImpl, implements Field, which extends Function.

Don
Unidata WWW Server               http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/
McIDAS Demonstration Machine  http://mcdemo.unidata.ucar.edu/