Re: Displaying direct manipulation data samples

  • To: Steve Emmerson <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: Displaying direct manipulation data samples
  • From: Doug Lindholm <lind@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 12:50:20 -0600
Steve Emmerson wrote:

> Patrick,
>
> >Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 18:27:03 +0200 (MET DST)
> >From: phorisb@xxxxxxxxxxxx (Patrick Horisberger)
> >To: visad-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> >Subject: Displaying direct manipulation data samples
>
> The above message contained the following:
>
> > I've got following small question:
> > With the center mouse button  locations can displayed in the upper left
> > corner of the display. Now is it  possible to display data samples on the
> > same way ?  Or can data samples only been read with the help of a color
> > legend or widget ?
>
> I'm not sure what you're asking.  Currently in VisAD, button 2 causes
> data values as well as coordinate values to be displayed in the
> upper-left corner -- providing the RealType-s of the data values have
> been mapped to spatial coordinates via ScalarMap-s.  As an example, see
> test 5 in the examples/ subdirectory:

I assume Patrick wants to do something like: click on a satellite image
and get a read-out of the radiance at that location? I'd like to be able
to do this too, but I haven't really looked into it. I imagine it would
require using a PickManipulationRenderer attached to a Cell which
resamples the data at that point. Then you could do what you want with
that data value.

Doug

| Doug Lindholm, Software Engineer          |  E-mail: lind@xxxxxxxx   |
| Research Applications Program             |   Phone: 303-497-8374    |
| National Center for Atmospheric Research  |                          |
| P.O. Box 3000                             |     There's no place     |
| Boulder, Colorado 80307-3000              |        like $HOME        |