20000822: Heavyweight Menus

>From: Doug Lindholm <lind@xxxxxxxx>

Doug-

>There was some previous discussion about wanting to have a JMenu appear
>over a 3D display. The "solution" that was offered was to keep your 3D
>displays away from the JMenuBar. I've stumbled upon a solution, sorry if
>this is obvious to some of you:
>
>  JMenuBar menuBar = new JMenuBar();
>  JMenu menu = new JMenu();
>  menu.getPopupMenu().setLightWeightPopupEnabled(false); //this is the
>key
>  menuBar.add(menu);

I've tried this with mixed results.  I get a lot more flashing of
the display when I use these lightweight menus which I find extremely
annoying.  At one point, I ran into a problem where the flashing was
continuous, and sucked up my CPU.  Going back to AWT menus made that
problem go away.  Let me know if you run into any problems using
this.

Don
Unidata WWW Server               http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/
McIDAS Demonstration Machine  http://mcdemo.unidata.ucar.edu/