Re: RubberBandBoxRendererJ3D

Hi Ken,

> I finally got everything working correctly and I can display the
> RubberBandBoxRendererJ3D ok.  However,  I was hoping to use this effect
> is an applet and I have discovered that my java plugin (the linux
> version 1_2_2) will not render a 3D display.   Therefore,  how would I
> go about changing the code in the RubberBandBoxRendererJ3D routine so
> that i could use it for 2D displays.  Thank you.

First, glad RubberBandBoxRendererJ3D is working for you.

Creating a RubberBandBoxRendererJ2D would be a bit tricky.  The
first step would be to simply copy RubberBandBoxRendererJ3D.java
into RubberBandBoxRendererJ2D.java, and changing all the J3D's
to J2D's inside.  The hard part will be that RubberBandBoxRendererJ3D
directly manipulates the Java3D scene graph, and in
RubberBandBoxRendererJ2D you'd have to change that to manipulating
VisAD's custom Java2D scene graph, which has some subtle differences
from Java3D.

In general, Java3D has better performance and greater flexibility
than Java2D.  If you can include Java3D in your plug-in, you'll be
better off.  I think its possible, as it is discussed often on the
java3d-interest@xxxxxxxxxxxx and java-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
mailing lists.

If you decide to tackle writing RubberBandBoxRendererJ2D, keep
me posted on any problems or questions you have, and we'd
really love to add it to our distribution.