Re: 20000712: a question

Ethan:

> We've thought more about the first option than the second because:
> option one would also be valuable outside the VisAD community; and
> with option two, the use of attribute conventions would have to be
> added instead of taking advantage of the netCDF conventions already
> in the VisAD netCDF adaptor.

I agree about the first option.  As long as VisAD uses the Java NetCDF
library, and DODS provides the mechanism to extend these classes with
ones which would, when needed use DODS access, it would allow anyone
with an app that uses NetCDF to use DODS -- just like in the C and
Fortran world, right?  That would seem to be the all-around best
solution.

(One of the reasons I would not want to make a DODS VisAD adapter is
that there is a lot of 'magic' (read: hard work) that Steve Emmerson did
in the NetCDF adapter to turn the metadata into the proper MathTypes in
VisAD and make Data objects that are directly usable.  It would seem the
same kind of work would be needed to convert a DODS data object, as
well.)

Does someone see this differently?

tom

--