Re: Problem with DisplayImplJ3D

Hi Hartmut,

DisplayImplJ3D is an extension of Java3D's Canvas3D, which is a heavyweight
component.  JComboBox, along with all Swing components, is lightweight,
causing the JComboBox to appear underneath the DisplayImplJ3D.

You can solve some problems by calling
     JPopupMenu.setDefaultLightWeightPopupEnabled(false);
Unfortunately, this call does not solve all problems of this type. My
suggestion is to avoid overlapping these types of components wherever
possible.  You could move your small JPanel from BorderLayout.NORTH to
BorderLayout.SOUTH, thus avoiding your current problem.

Also, if I recall correctly, there is an additional problem with JComboBoxes
and DisplayImpls.  If your JComboBox selection alters the DisplayImpl such
that it needs to re-render, and the JComboBox drops down over the DisplayImpl,
you might see some very strange behavior in the DisplayImpl.  I think this
problem is a thread issue with JComboBox.  It might be fixed in JDK 1.3
releases, but I'd avoid letting a JComboBox overlap a DisplayImpl anyway.

For more information about mixing heavyweight and lightweight components,
see:  http://java.sun.com/products/jfc/tsc/articles/mixing/index.html

-Curtis