Re: basic topology and the Data Model with geo-locations

Hi Doug,

> I'm partial to (time) -> ((lon, lat, alt) -> (obs)). This makes
> resampling by time or space rather convenient. VMET assumes such an
> arrangement.

Well, at any given time, the aircraft is only at one location,
so the domain sampling of ((lat, lon, alt) -> obs) would be
a SingletonSet with manifold dimension = 0.  That is, to
precisely represent the aircraft track.  So you might as
well use (time -> (lat, lon, alt, obs)).  It only takes a
few lines of code to translate between:

  (time -> (lat, lon, alt, obs))

and:

  ((lat, lon, alt) -> (time, obs))

However, if you want to graphically represent the aircraft
track as an animating streamer, then you would produce a
Field with the type you described:

  (time -> ((lon, lat, alt) -> obs))

where the domain Set of each ((lon, lat, alt) -> obs) is
a segment of the aircraft track between the current time
[i.e., domain sample of (time -> ...)] and current time
minus some constant.

> I don't want to start a religious war but I also prefer (lon,lat,alt)
> over (lat,lon,alt) because it relates directly to (x,y,z).

I originally created the system intrinsic RealTupleType
for earth location with the (lon, lat, alt) order, but by
popular demand the system now has intrinsic RealTupleTypes
for both ways.