Drawing 3D Surface Graphs in real time

Hi ,
     This is my first stab at this mailing list. So show a little patience ..:)
My objective is to use a DEM file to draw 3D surface graphs.
The DEM file contains a parsed output x,y,z array - latitude, longitude,
elevation.  I need to use this data to create coloured hills & valleys that
represent
the discrete data and that change with time.

Now i have heard a lot about this tool. I want to know if it is physically
possible for me to satisfy the
above requirements using VisAD. If not will it be possible for me to modify
VisAD to satisfy the above requirements. Your comments and suggestions are
greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.

Cheers,
Amar..