Re: A suggestion to SpreadSheet

Hi Peter,

> Amazingly, Visad works for HDF5 files with complicated hiearchical structure.
> However, there is an inconvenience in the spreadsheet. Suppose I have a data
> set which is at group1-->group1_1-->dataset2 and I open the file at cell a1.
> In order to open the data set, I may have to open the groups level by level,
> for instance, open file at a1 --> open group1 at b1 (a1.0) --> open group1_1
> at a2 (b1.1) --> open dataset2 at b2 (a2.1). I wonder if there is a way which
> opens the datset directly from cell a1, for example, open dataset2 at b1 by
> a1.0.1.1

Most VisAD file adpters (extend visad.data.Form) open the
entire file, but there are some that do not.  You could
write an HDF-5 adapter whose open() method would create its
own little GUI in a JFrame to ask the user which part of a
file they want to open.  We haven't done this, so there may
be some little problem I don't foresee, but my first guess
is that it will work.