Visualization of realtime data in realtime

Well, from what I've read, VisAD is very useful in displaying data in
different formats such as netCDF. But is it possible for VisAD to visualize
realtime data?

Let me elaborate.
I'm dealing with financial data here, and i've got historical data stored in
a .nc file. I'll need to visualize that, as well as new data records that
I'm collecting every minute.

A straight forward method is simply to write the new data to the .nc file
and load it again. But is there an alternative where I can update the data
in memory and write out to disk at hourly intervals instead? (the historical
data can be huge and new data may arrive seconds apart).

Thanks a million in advance.