Re: extracting data from a field

Hi Cameron,

> I am trying to traverse through the structure of a field and extract the data
>
> Here is a snippet of code.
>
> DataImpl mofStructure = plain.open(args[0]); //open and load netcdf file
> FieldImpl mofField = (FieldImpl)mofStructure; //convert to fieldimpl
> Data mofData = mofField.getSample(0);  //get first sample
>
> The data object received from 'getSample()' is of type Real.
> It should be tuple however I cannot cast it to Tuple and therefore cannot
> access the data (through getData() from tuple).
> How do I access the data?

If mofData is Real, you can get its value by:

  double value = ((Real) mofData)).getValue();

In general, if the MathType of a Field is something like:

then the samples of the Field will be Real.  If the MathType
of the Field is something like:

then the samples of the Field will be Tuple (actually RealTuple
which is a subclass of Tuple).

So it could be that the netCDF adapter is not reading your
file the way you think it should be.  I am not sure how it
will deal with Text values.

Perhaps Steve can tell us.