Re: Using visAd without Java 3D or native libraries.

Hi Tom,

> > We've just downloaded visAd and are very interested in using it
> > as the basis for our Java image tools.  However I'm a bit confused
> > by the requirements for it to run.  The documentation at
> >    http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/~billh/visad.html
> > seems to imply that one can use either Java2D or Java3D for the display
> > but building the system seems to require Java3D, which is not
> > yet released for the architecture we'd prefer to develop under
> > (Dec/Compaq Tru-Unix).  Can one build visAd without the Java3D components?
> > In fact we've downloaded the Java elements of Java3D so we can compile
> > all the Java components.  However the examples we've tested seem
> > to fail immediately -- indicating that they are unable to link
> > in the native J3D libraries.  If we could avoid referencing
> > the J3D stuff could we use visAd and if so how?
>
> Your last sentence is exactly right.  Once you've built the VisAD
> package, if you then avoid using anything in VisAD that uses Java3D,
> then your application will work on platforms that don't yet support
> Java3D.  The way to avoid using Java3D in VisAD is to avoid using
> the package "visad.java3d".

If you're writing an application, just avoid the DisplayImplJ3D
constructor (and any other classes in visad.java3d as Steve
says).

Some applications, such as the VisAD SpreadSheet, will catch
the UnsatisfiedLinkError that comes from the DisplayImplJ3D
and construct a DisplayImplJ2D instead (and then refrain from
mapping any RealTypes to ZAxis, Latitude or Alpha).