Re: Wrong Java version? Could s.b. try my data-file?

Hi Armin,

> I got one data-file that causes the SpreadSheet to crash.
> (I attached the error message below);
> I run
> java version "1.2"
> Solaris VM (build Solaris_JDK_1.2_01_dev06_fcsV, native threads,
> sunwjit)
> Do I need a newer version of the JDK?
> I got the newest version of visad installed.
>
> Could s.b. try to import that datafile on a Sun Sparc and
> tell me if that causes problems. Thanks.
>
> The datafile can be downloaded from
> http://mapc51.epfl.ch/~roehrl/grp_for_svy8.nc.gz
>
> Thanks a lot for any help.
> and here we go to the error message.. ...
>  java -mx512m visad.ss.SpreadSheet 1 1
> Couldn't decode attribute y:units="promiscuous": Unit not in database
> Couldn't decode attribute x:units="promiscuous": Unit not in database
> java.lang.NullPointerException
>         at visad.BaseColorControl.lookupValues(Compiled Code)
> . . .
> Bus Error
>     si_signo [10]: Bus Error
>     si_errno [0]: Error 0
>     si_code [1]: BUS_ADRALN [addr: 0x3de92295]

The fact that the Exception message includes a Bus Error is
a sign that this was a bug in Java, rather than in VisAD.

Like Curtis, I was also able to display your file in the
SpreadSheet with no Exception.  I have seen weird bugs running
Java with native threads, so you might try the Reference
Release instead (runs with green threads).  Also, often the
same command that failed will work if you run it again.