19991010: Internal frames

>From: Steve Bellenot <bellenot@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Steve-

>Another way to get Swing menu's to work with heavyweight canvases is to
>move the canvas to the "right side" and have plenty of lightweight
>stuff under the menus on the "left side".

That's what I've resorted to.  This works better under Windows than
under Solaris because Solaris likes to spread out the menus more
and Windows scrunches them in.  Another is to have a row (or two)
of toolbars and buttcons which is larger than the region that the
menus descend.

>I would also like to discourage people from using Internal Frames. One
>has a window manager to manage these things. Internal Frames don't
>map to multiple monitors well either.

I know this is a philosophical issue, but we find that while experienced
users know how to work a window manager well, novice users like the
monolithic program that can manage their frames - like Word or Excel
do (not that I'm a MS fan).  There is now easy way with a Window Manager
to tile 4 displays like you can in the VisAD spreadsheet, or to do
the tile/cascade functions of programs like Excel.  It would also be
nice to have tabbed panes with a different VisAD display on each pane,
but the lightweight/heavyweight issue precludes that if you have 3D
panels.

Don
Unidata WWW Server               http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/
McIDAS Demonstration Machine  http://mcdemo.unidata.ucar.edu/