question about remote data

I'm currently finishing up a report of my experiences with VisAD, and
everything seems to be going ok except for the section on VisAD's use of
Java's Remote Method Invocation (RMI).

I would like for the readers of my document to get a feel for the
architecture of VisAD's remote-data model; unfortunately, it would seem
that I don't understand it too well myself :-)

What I'd like to know is whether the rendering of the remote data takes
place on the remote machine.  Or is the data ported over to the client
to be rendered there?  The second scenario seems unlikely, given that
VisAD was designed to work with such large data sets, but I would much
rather hear from the authors than my make my own semi-educated guesses.

Thanks so much,
Vikram Vatsa <v.vatsa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Computer Sciences Corporation