Re: Distributed Computing confusion

Hi Doug,

> > If the argument to DataReference.setData(Data d) on the server
> > is a FieldImpl, then you should be able to cast the return value
> > of DataReference.getData() to FieldImpl.  That is, moving data
> > from the server to the client does not change its class to
> > Remote*.
> >

> What you said reaffirms what I thought, but it's not working in
> practice. Here's some sample code that shows the problem. I get the
> problem on both Linux and NT.

My statement was wrong - sorry about that.  Now that I look at
the getData() method of RemoteDataReferenceImpl, it does convert
a FieldImpl to a RemoteFieldImpl.

The fix is simple.  Replace:

  FieldImpl field = (FieldImpl) ref.getData();

by:

  FieldImpl field = (FieldImpl) ref.getData().local();

in your Client.java.

Note that RemoteDataReferenceImpl.getData() includes:

  if (data instanceof FieldImpl) {
    boolean return_copy = false;
    if (return_copy) {
      return data;
    }
    else {
      return new RemoteFieldImpl((FieldImpl) data);
    }
  }
  else {
    return data;
  }

The idea is that applications can extend RemoteDataReferenceImpl
and override getData() to decide on some basis whether to return
the FieldImpl (immediate download to the client), or a
RemoteFieldImpl (a remote reference that the client can download
piecemeal via getSample() calls, etc).

I am glad to see VisAD's distributed objects getting used.