Permissions and threads

Greetings all,

I have a small visad application which I am running as an applet, either
from Netscape with the Java plug-in or using the AppletViewer. The
applet sits on a web server with visad.jar. When run, it communicates
via RMI to a server program running on another machine (which in turn
talks to some weather databases via JDBC).

The applet uses DisplayImplJ3D to show a map of weather stations, with
their period of operation in the z-axis.

I've included the code below in case it is relevant.

The thing basically works, but with one annoying aspect. I have to grant
the codebase http:...visad.jar AllPermission to avoid getting the
following message when I rotate the 3D display:

Exception occurred during Behavior execution:
java.lang.SecurityException: Access denied to ThreadGroup not owned by
applet
        at
sun.applet.AppletSecurity.getThreadGroup(AppletSecurity.java:241)
        at java.lang.Thread.init(Thread.java:251)
        at java.lang.Thread.<init>(Thread.java:325)
        at visad.util.ThreadPool$ThreadMinnow.<init>(ThreadPool.java:63)

        at visad.util.ThreadPool.queue(ThreadPool.java:166)
        at visad.ActionImpl.notifyAction(ActionImpl.java:263)
        at visad.DisplayImpl.controlChanged(DisplayImpl.java:682)
        at visad.Control.incTick(Control.java:98)
        at visad.Control.changeControl(Compiled Code)
        at
visad.java3d.ProjectionControlJ3D.setMatrix(ProjectionControlJ3D.java
:82)
        at visad.MouseHelper.processEvent(MouseHelper.java:371)
        at visad.java3d.MouseBehaviorJ3D.processStimulus(Compiled Code)
        at javax.media.j3d.BehaviorScheduler.processBehaviors(Compiled
Code)
        at javax.media.j3d.BehaviorScheduler.run(Compiled Code)

I don't like granting codeBases AllPermission, but if I try granting all
the other permissions I still seem to get the exception. Can anybody
help?

Here is the visad code:
      RealTupleType stationSpan
          new RealTupleType(RealType.Latitude,
RealType.Longitude,RealType.Time);

      int nstations=testquery.stations.size();

      System.out.println("Number of stations to plot "+nstations);

      float span[][]=new float[3][2];

      Gridded3DSet[] accum = new Gridded3DSet[nstations];

      for (int i=0;i<nstations;i++){

        ClientStation current=(ClientStation)
testquery.stations.elementAt(i);

        java.util.Date dummytime=current.operational.getEnd();
        if (dummytime==null)
          dummytime=localCalendar.getTime();

        span[0][0]=(float) current.latitude;
        span[1][0]=(float) current.longitude;
        span[2][0]=(float) current.operational.getStart().getTime();

        span[0][1]=(float) current.latitude;
        span[1][1]=(float) current.longitude;
        span[2][1]=(float) dummytime.getTime();

        accum[i] = new Gridded3DSet(stationSpan,span,2);
      }

      UnionSet happyUnion = new UnionSet(stationSpan,accum);

        final DataReference stations_ref = new
DataReferenceImpl("stations");
        stations_ref.setData(happyUnion);

        // create a Display using Java3D
         DisplayImpl display = new DisplayImplJ3D("image display");

        // map earth coordinates to display coordinates
        display.addMap(new ScalarMap(RealType.Latitude, Display.YAxis));
        display.addMap(new ScalarMap(RealType.Longitude,
Display.XAxis));
        display.addMap(new ScalarMap(RealType.Time, Display.ZAxis));

      GraphicsModeControl mode=display.getGraphicsModeControl();
      mode.setScaleEnable(true);

        // link the Display to rivers_ref
        display.addReference(stations_ref);

        try {
          BaseMapAdapter baseMap = new BaseMapAdapter(new
URL("http://mayumi.narc.affrc.go.jp/~matthewl/visadapplet/OUTLSUPW";));
          baseMap.setLatLonLimits(latMin,latMax,longMin,longMax);
          Data mapData = baseMap.getData();

          DataReference mapRef = new DataReferenceImpl("mapData");
          mapRef.setData(mapData);

          ConstantMap[] rendMap;
          rendMap = new ConstantMap[1];
          rendMap[0] = new ConstantMap(-.99, Display.ZAxis);
          display.addReference(mapRef, rendMap);

        } catch (Exception mapop) {
      mapop.printStackTrace();
        }

        // create JPanel in JFrame
        panel3D.setLayout(new BoxLayout(panel3D, BoxLayout.Y_AXIS));
        panel3D.setAlignmentY(JPanel.TOP_ALIGNMENT);
        panel3D.setAlignmentX(JPanel.LEFT_ALIGNMENT);

        // add display to JPanel
        panel3D.add(display.getComponent());

--
Matthew Laurenson