Re: Getting Help on VisAD SpreadSheet

Dear S.D Senaratne,

Sorry for your problems.

> . . .
> I'm working on Windows98 environment in my home computer. I tried to execute
> the application using 'java -mx64m visad.ss.SpreadSheet' but it gave the
> message,
>
> "cannot construct spreadsheet cells. A remote error occurred: Listen failed on
> port:0; nested exception is: java.net.SocketException: Option unsupported by
> protocol: create"

We tried running VisAD on a Windows 98 system not connected to
a network and did not get this error.  VisAD does not explicitly
use sockets, but does so indirectly by instantiating objects from
the java.rmi.server package.  This message seems to indicate that
Java cannot create a socket, which should be possible even when
not connected to the network.  Hence, we wonder if the TCP/IP
stack is installed and running on your Windows 98 system (TCP/IP
generally runs on Windows 98 and other systems even when not
connected to the network).

If any Windows experts on this mailing list know of tests that
can be run to verify whether TCP/IP is installed and running
correctly, please let us know.

> My home computer is not connected to a network. But in my computer in the
> University which is working on WindowsNT environment I was able to execute the
> SpreadSheet application without any error and it is connected to the network.
> But in the Display menu 'Java3D' is disabled, although I have installed
> Java3D and the icons are not visible in the button bar.

When 'Java3D' is disabled in the SpreadSheet menu it indicates
that the SpreadSheet got a UnsatisfiedLinkError when it tried
to start Java3D.  That is, that it could not load the Java3D
native library, or that OpenGL is not installed.

If you change into the visad/examples directory, can you run
'java HSVDisplay' successfully?