Re: Listening for key events

Hi Cristy,

> My question is, how can I intercept tab/shift-tab key presses
> when the graph has focus so I can in-turn move the green blob?
> I tried adding a KeyListener without any luck.  I also checked
> out the VisAD examples and did not see any that react to key
> presses.

Yes, we don't have any examples that capture keyboard events
for VisAD displays.  Also, you cannot use a KeyListener
directly with Java3D, since it grabs all the KeyEvents itself.
But it will give them back through a Behavior in the Java3D
scene graph.  Here's how to do it.  Define a new class
KeyBehaviorJ3D (or whatever name you like) that is similar
to visad.java3d.MouseBehaviorJ3D, except that:

1. It extends Behavior but does not implement the MouseEvent
   interface.
2. It does not construct a MouseHelper or implement the
   getMouseHelper() method.
3. It defines a different list of conditions in its constructor
   in 'wakeup', maybe just
   new WakeupOnAWTEvent(KeyEvent.KEY_PRESSED)
4. In its processStimulus method, it does not pass
   AWTEvents to MouseHelper.processEvent(), but instead
   moves your green blob or does whatever else you want.

Then in your application, after you have constructed your
DisplayImplJ3D, do the following:

  DisplayImplJ3D display = ...;
  DisplayRendererJ3D display_renderer
    (DisplayRendererJ3D) display.getDisplayRenderer();
  TransformGroup trans = display_renderer.getTrans();
  KeyBehaviorJ3D key = new KeyBehaviorJ3D(display_renderer);
  BoundingSphere bounds
    new BoundingSphere(new Point3d(0.0,0.0,0.0), 2000000.0);
  key.setSchedulingBounds(bounds);
  trans.addChild(key);

I have never used KeyEvents, so may have made some error here,
but I think this is the general idea.  Please let me know if
you have problems.