newbie, netCDF/isocontour/SpreadSheet ?'s.

Hi Folks,

I have a netCDF file (ftp://ftp.cdc.noaa.gov/Public/rhs/visad/ball50.nc) which
is basically a cube (50x50x50) full of zeros except for a three areas in the
shape of crude spheres where the values have been set to 15, 35 or 45
respectively.

The metadata of the file has been faked up to resemble that of our standard
netCDF files for atmospheric and oceanic climate data.  This file has three
spatial coordinate variables and a time (record) dimension with three time
steps.

When I read the netCDF file into the SpreadSheet and the default mapping makes
perfect sense, with longitude, latitude and depth mapped to x, y and z, time
mapped to animation and the field variable mapped to iso-contour.

The SpreadSheet displays a box in cell A1 and the scales on the box when
displayed appear to make sense, but no matter what value I choose for the
iso-contour I don't see anything displayed in interior of the box.

I am using the precompiled visad jar file on a Win98 machine with a Diamond
FireGL 1000 (what a stupid name) video card.  I can see isocontours using some
of the examples from the VisAD web page.

If somebody has a bit of time, I'd appreciate hearing what they see when they
view this netCDF file with the SpreadSheet.

Eventually, I will be reading data files which have floating point fields that
were stored in the netCDF packed into two-byte integers.  So I'd also like to
know if the netCDF interface "understands" packed data.

Thanks to all,
Roland
--
Roland Schweitzer
NOAA-CIRES Climate Diagnostics Center           325 Broadway