Re: Anyone ported HDF-EOS to AIX?

Hi Jim,

First, Tom Rink is the real authority on VisAD's HDF-EOS adapter
so Tom please correct me if I get any of this wrong.

There are three layers of native code for VisAD's HDF-EOS adapter.

1. The basic HDF4.1r1 code from NCSA at:
   ftp://ftp.ncsa.uiuc.edu/HDF/HDF_Current

2. The HDF-EOS code from NASA at:
   http://ulabibm.gsfc.nasa.gov/hdfeos/hdf.html#4

3. The VisAD JNI links, written by Tom, and in the
visad/data/hdfeos/hdfeosc directory of the VisAD source distribution.

The HDF home page at http://hdf.ncsa.uiuc.edu/ does not list
AIX among supported platforms, but does list tools that run on
AIX and access HDF.  It is hard to believe that the basic HDF
libraries have not been ported to AIX.

The HDF-EOS Product Description lists AIX as a supported platform,
under AIX 4.2, with IBM C 3.1.4.0 and IBM FORTRAN 3.2.5 (since this
uses the basic HDF library, it suggests that the basic library runs
on AIX).

The VisAD native code for HDF-EOS has not been tested on AIX.  For
one thing, VisAD requires Java 2 which is not yet ported to AIX.

There is a pure Java interface to HDF (from NCSA), so hopefully
NASA will produce a pure Java version of their HDF-EOS library and
then VisAD can go pure Java for HDF-EOS (as it does for netCDF and
FITS).

whibbard@xxxxxxxxxxxxx  608-263-4427  fax: 608-263-6738