Re: visad compile error

Nash,

In the above message, you wrote:

> I tried to compile visad and got the following errors:
>

> *** Building in java3d
> AVControlJ3D.java:30: Package javax.media.j3d not found in import.
> import javax.media.j3d.*;
>        ^
> DefaultDisplayRendererJ3D.java:32: Package javax.media.j3d not found in
> import.
> import javax.media.j3d.*;
>        ^
> DefaultDisplayRendererJ3D.java:33: Package javax.vecmath not found in
> import.
> import javax.vecmath.*;
>        ^
> DisplayRendererJ3D.java:33: Package javax.media.j3d not found in import.
> import javax.media.j3d.*;
>        ^
> DisplayRendererJ3D.java:34: Package javax.vecmath not found in import.
> import javax.vecmath.*;
>        ^
> DefaultRendererJ3D.java:30: Package javax.media.j3d not found in import.
> import javax.media.j3d.*;
>        ^
> RendererJ3D.java:30: Package javax.media.j3d not found in import.
>

> I was wondering if someone can give me some pointers. Thanks a lot.

It appears that the java compiler can't find the Java3D classes.  This
is consistent with a missing or improper Java3D installation.  The
Java3D package is separate from JDK1.2beta4 and must be installed
separately (though on a Sparc system it does unpack into a
previously-existing JDK1.2 installation).  For information on how to
install Java3D, see the following URL:

    http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/~billh/visad.html#prerequisites

Note: If you're not registered as a Java developer, you'll have to in
order to obtain the Java3D package.  It's a very small deal.  Consider it
the price to pay for cutting-edge software.

--------