Re: Is it possible...

Excellent questions as usual.

> 1. the location of the yellow dot appears in the upper left hand
>    corner.  I would like the 'documents' variable to reflect the
>    position of the green dot, not the yellow dot as it does now (the
>    X and Y variables are already the same for the yellow and green
>    dot);

The location strings are set in calls to setCursorStringVector
in DataRenderer.drag_direct.  You could change these strings
by extending DirectManipulationRendererJ3D (which inherits
drag_direct from DataRenderer) and overriding drag_direct.
No day at the beach, but possible.  You could define the new
drag_direct implementation by cutting and pasting source from
DataRenderer.drag_direct.  Of course, drag_direct is onvoked
from a MouseEvent callback, whereas the position of the green
dot is computed in a CellImpl, so there might be a little
reorganization to communicate that position.

A much easier solution is to create your own display of the
green dot location as one or more JLabels.  That is, text not
embedded in the 3-D display window.  I'd be very open to
adding a mode flag for disabling the location display that
is embedded in the 3-D window.

> 2. I would like to constrain the green dot to remain on the surface.
>    I can get close with this code
>
>       RealTuple location=(RealTuple) direct_reference.getData();
>       int x=(int) (((Real) location.getComponent(0)).getValue()+0.5);
>       int y=(int) (((Real) location.getComponent(1)).getValue()+0.5);
>       if ((x >= 0) && (x < table.getColumnCount()) &&
>           (y >= 0) && (y < table.getRowCount()))
>         {
>           /* update green dot */
>         }
>
>    But this is not quite what I want.  I still want to move the green
>    dot if one of the variables (x,y) is within range but constrain it to
>    the surface (0-39,0-29).  Using Math.min and Math.max comes to mind
>    but how do you use min and max in this context:
>
>       Real[] pairs={(Real) location.getComponent(0),
>         (Real) location.getComponent(1)};
>       RealTuple pair=new RealTuple(pairs);
>       Real value=(Real) self_organizing_map.evaluate(pair);
>       value=(Real) value.add(new Real(1.0));
>       Real[] triples={(Real) location.getComponent(0),
>         (Real) location.getComponent(1),value};

This should work:

       Real clip0 = (Real) location.getComponent(0);
       clip0 = (Real) clip0.max(new Real(0.0));
       clip0 = (Real) clip0.min(new Real(39.0));
       Real clip1 = (Real) location.getComponent(1);
       clip1 = (Real) clip1.max(new Real(0.0));
       clip1 = (Real) clip1.min(new Real(29.0));
       Real[] pairs={clip0, clip1};
       RealTuple pair=new RealTuple(pairs);
       Real value=(Real) self_organizing_map.evaluate(pair);
       value=(Real) value.add(new Real(1.0));
       Real[] triples={clip0, clip1, value};

whibbard@xxxxxxxxxxxxx  608-263-4427  fax: 608-263-6738

"kill cross-platform Java by growing the polluted Java market"
   - from an internal Microsoft planning document