Vis5D version 5.0 beta available

A beta copy of Vis5D version 5.0 is now available on our
ftp server at:

  ftp://iris.ssec.wisc.edu/pub/vis5d-5.0/vis5d-5.0.tar.Z

This directory also contains the README and vis5d-data.tar.Z
files, as well as binary executables for various systems,
in files named vis5d.*.viewer.tar.Z.

These files are also available at:

  ftp://ftp.dkrz.de/pub/visu/ssec/vis5d-5.0

The major new feature in version 5.0 is support for multiple
data sets, displayed either side-by-side in a spread sheet
style, or overlaid in a single display.  New data sets can
be imported in the middle of a Vis5D session, and computations
can combine fields from multiple data sets.  Spread sheet
windows can be linked, so that user interactions in one window
apply to all windows in the group.

We want to thank Sharon Leduc and Joan Novak of the U. S. EPA
for supporting this work, and also to thank Fritz Hasler of
NASA for suggesting and supporting our early experiments with
Vis5D spread sheets.

If you have problems with Vis5D, please send a message
to us at johan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx and whibbard@xxxxxxxxxxxxx.

Thank you,
Bill Hibbard and Johan Kellum
p.s., Vive la France

whibbard@xxxxxxxxxxxxx  608-263-4427  fax: 608-263-6738

"kill cross-platform Java by growing the polluted Java market"
   - from an internal Microsoft planning document